POLICIES & EXPECTATIONS
OFFICE & BENEFITS
- Present yourself with professionalism and maturity, inspiring the dancers to reach for excellence.
- It is important to foster the student-teacher relationship. It is one of trust and respect which is earned by both parties.
- Arrive at least 5 minutes early to prepare and focus yourself in order to set the right mood/energy for your class.
- Although we promote creativity in our teaching methods in order to engage our students, it's important to use classical music the majority of the time.
- We want class time to be productive. Please don't resort to watching videos.
- Attire: wear appropriate dance clothes and shoes that allow you to move freely.
- All classes should start and end on time to be respectful.
- We implement progressive training to promote health and well-being, addressing the individual as a whole.
- In practice, this means that we support and challenge each dancer in their physical, mental, emotional and artistic development.
- Keep student questions and talking to a minimum to not disrupt the flow of the class.
- Maintain focused attention by engaging the students. Use them to demonstrate. Give them personal and group challenges.
- Please do not use your cell phone during class time except when playing music or using it to learn choreography.
- We post the student Rules of Conduct in each studio to outline the classroom expectations and etiquette.
- Please check out the full list of expectations detailed on the Policies Page on the LGB website.
- Student Discipline Plan
- First warning - reminding the dancer of the Rules of Conduct.
- Second warning - have the dancer sit out, write notes and present at the end of class.
- Third warning - call a parent/teacher meeting.
- Components of good teaching: Progression, Pacing, Dosing (words and skills), Timing and Phrasing.
- Qualities of good teaching: Compassionate, Supportive, Dedicated, Earnest, Passionate.
- We encourage open communication amongst the teaching staff and will provide opportunities to share ideas, concerns and broaden skill base.
- We provide a teaching plan for each semester that includes elements to be covered for that period to ensure smooth progression.
- Remember that you create the environment and expectations each day.
- If you are inspired, they will be inspired.
- If you create an environment for creativity and expression, they will bring it.
- If you believe they can, they will.
- Nordica is responsible for daily tracking of attendance
- Parents will be called if we have not received an absence request or a call to report an absence in the same day.
- Excused Absences
- S = Sickness
- I = Injured
- 0 = Observation
- E = Vacations/Time Off not during performance or mandatory rehearsals
- L = Late
- Unexcused Absence
- Did not call in or submit request form
- Unapproved vacations or time off
- Details of extended absences will be communicated to the primary teachers
- It is the responsibility of the Primary Teacher to monitor and govern class attendance
- Monitor and report class attendance
- Fill out Absence Request for intended absences for future dates
- Call prior to class time for absences in the same day
- Unexcused Absence Governance
- For 2 unexcused absences - a written notice will be sent
- For 3 or more unexcused absences - a meeting will be called
- All studios are equipped with a sound system that has multiple CD trays and Computer/Phone auxiliary plug in.
- If using provided CD's, please return them to the appropriate case.
- Keep the workplace clean and free of obstacles.
- If you see any potentially unsafe conditions, please report it immediately.
- Please take the time to locate the fire extinguishers in each studio and in the lobby in case of emergency.
- The First Aide Kit is located in the lobby in the drawer clearly marked "FIRST AIDE".
- Report all incidents immediately. Incident Report Forms are available in the office.
- Do not allow anyone to walk on the dance floor with street shoes.
- Never allow student to use the Pilates Equipment without qualified supervision.
- It is your responsibility to leave the studio clean and tidy for the next class. Recruit the help of the students.
- Make sure the students take all their belongings with them. No trash left behind.
- There is a lost and found bench located in the lobby which is emptied monthly.
- Please turn off all fans, lights, portable heaters and sound equipment before leaving the studio.
- If you are the last to lock up, make sure you never leave a student unattended. All students need to be picked up before you lock up.
OFFICE & BENEFITS
- Please notify Marcie and/or the office staff if you are unable to teach your class.
- Vacations should be taken during the off-season. Please refer to the LGB Calendar.
- Please fill out the Absence Form for any planned vacations/absences.
- There will be a staff meeting scheduled per semester for sharing ideas and feedback.
- We will also be providing team building and staff enrichment opportunities. We welcome suggestions :-)
- You are eligible for free group classes (dance or pilates), if space is available.
- If you are a Certified Pilates Instructor, you may use the Pilates equipment for free. Please use when clients are not in session.